Stress-less this Holiday Season
I can’t believe it’s the middle of November! I feel like I’ve blinked and this entire year has passed by!
As we near the end of the year stress levels tend to rise with the temperature.We’re dealing with competing commitments, expected and unexpected visitors, crazy shopping and non-stop parties, as well as trying to maintain our normal routine. For some, Christmas is the most stressful time of the year (and no matter how many times you hear “Merry Christmas”, it doesn’t make it so!)
Here are a few tips to help avoid stress this holiday season:
- Decide to make happiness and peace of mind a priority.
- Let go of rushing. Breathe deeply and choose peace.
- Let go of grief and stressful emotions. Get support.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Be one yourself.
- Get plenty of sleep. Take care of your body.
- Eat healthy food. Drink water. Exercise.
- Let go of perfectionism. Give hugs.
- Learn new skills and continue growing.
- Meditate or take a peaceful walk in nature every day.
- Find your passion. Then take action to improve the world.
I love Christmas, it is my favourite time of year! There is so much joy and giving going on, I really do hate to see the experience ruined by stress. So I also want to add a few tips of my own that have helped me through the holiday season:
- Plan ahead– Christmas shopping in September may seem a little crazy but it’ll help avoid that last minute present panic we’ve all experienced! It’s also important to plan any big meals ahead and make sure everyone brings something different to a party (there’s nothing worse than going to a BBQ with 7 types of potato salad and nothing else!)
- Don’t over commit– Prioritise your engagements! You can’t attend everything, and to try to would be crazy. Remember to take care of yourself (it may be the silly season, but you still need to rest!)
- Remind yourself daily of what’s really important– Holidays are a time to be spent with the people you love. Don’t waste this precious time focusing on everything that’s gone wrong! Instead, focus on everything that’s right 🙂
What tips do you have to reduce stress over the holidays?