De-Clutter Your Day (Part II)
In order to help you on your way to de-cluttering your life, I want to share this advice from Gretchen Rubin. Here are the top 10 tips for de-cluttering your life!
1. Make your bed.
2. Get rid of the newspaper each night, even if you haven’t read it yet.
3. Follow the “one-minute rule” – push yourself to do any chore that takes less than one minute. Throw away the junk mail, put the peanut-butter jar back in the cabinet, close the cabinet door, put your dirty socks in the hamper, hang up your wet towel.
4. Identify a place or person to whom you can give things you no longer need – it’s much easier to get rid of unneeded stuff if you can envision someone else getting good use from them. Also, figure out a place to store those things until you hand them over.
5. Be very cautious about letting yourself “store” something. Storing something means you don’t intend to use it much. Other than holiday decorations and seasonal clothes, you should strive to “store” as little as possible.
6. Beware of freebies. Never accept anything free, unless you’re thrilled with it. A mug, a tote bag, a hand-me-down toy, the lamp from your mother-in-law — if you don’t need it, don’t take it.
7. Get rid of things if they break. I have a clock on my bedside table that doesn’t work, and hasn’t for many months now. I think it’s time to get rid of it!
8. Don’t keep any piece of paper unless you know that you actually need it. I still have University textbooks and assignments from 8 years ago in piles under my bed, “in case I want to look at them one day”. I never have, and I know never will! It was bad enough learning it the first time around!!
9. Hang up your coat. I have a lot of trouble with this one, so now I use a hook instead of a hanger.
10. Before you go to bed, take five minutes to do an “evening tidy-up.” Don’t tackle anything ambitious, but just stack up the magazines, put your shoes away, shove the chairs into place, etc. Just a few minutes of tidying can make your house look a lot better, and it’s a calming thing to do before going to sleep. Plus it makes the morning nicer.
So how about it, now that you know why your life is cluttered, and what you can do to fix it, are you going to de-clutter your day??